Tuscany is famous for the number and quality of its festivals and events. Why are they so many and so good? Several reasons. One is that annual folk festivals such as grape and wine festivals as well as religious holidays have lasted longer or been revived more often in Italy than in most other European countries. Another reason is that we’re all a bit like kids here and like dressing up. The ready availability of film prop warehouses helps in that respect (although please note that a lot of our festival costumes are hand-made). Of course, there’s also “market pull” – the huge number of visitors that we have in Tuscany encourages tourist towns to support historical re-enactments and similar feste, and, in addition, the museums are becoming more and more dependent on raising their own support funds, hence the proliferation of excellent “museum evenings” and similar events.
In any case, be sure to do your homework before your visit to Tuscany and to look at wall posters when you’re here so that you know what festivals, jousts, open air dinners, museum open days and other events are taking place near where you’re staying.
Some posts describing specific events and festivals in Tuscany:
- The Baptistry in Florence is open during the evening three nights each week during summer 2013.
- Evening drinks at Florence Museums – “Aperitivo ad Arte”.
- “The Springtime of the Renaissance” – a great exhibition currently showing in Florence.
- “The treasure of the Lombards” – “Il Tesoro dei Longobardi” – an exhibition in Cortona 2013.
- Mercantia at Certaldo, Tuscany, one of the best street theatre festivals in Europe.
- Palazzo Davanzati cocktail evenings 2013.
- Luminara di Santa Croce in Lucca.
- Wine festivals in Tuscany.
- Bargello Museum cocktail evenings 2012.
- Monteriggioni Mediaeval Festival (Festa Medievale).
- Exhibition of Renaissance Majolica at the Bargello, Florence.
- Volterra A.D. 1398 mediaeval festival.
- Annual events and festivals in Tuscany.
- Market days in Tuscany.
- Truffle festival at San Giovanni d’Asso.
- Festa dei Macellai a Panzano in Chianti.
- Neighbourhood dinners in Chianti.