Where shall I stay during my visit to Tuscany? That’s one of the important questions every visitor has to consider, preferably well in advance of the trip. The question actually has three aspects:
- where shall I base myself in Tuscany,
- what kind of vacation accommodations do I want, and then
- which particular establishment?
Where shall I base myself in Tuscany? Even for a stay of two weeks, I recommend choosing a single base and sticking to it, for the reasons given here. In that same post, I recommended either Chianti or the Val d’Orcia as great places to stay. Here, I’ll confine myself to Chianti which has the great virtue of being situated between two cities that you’re likely to want to want to visit several times, namely Florence and Sienna.
What kind of vacation accommodation? The choice is more or less: hotel, economical or luxury; villa or farmhouse; vacation apartment; room, Bed and Breakfast or not. Many experienced travellers who have not visited Tuscany previously tend to think immediately of a city hotel without realising that Tuscany is famous for its rural hotels and above all for its country vacation rentals in the form of villas, farmhouses and various kinds of agriturismi. All of these options are well-represented in our recommended Tuscan accommodations.
Which particular establishment? That will depend on many criteria – how many of you are there, will you have a car, do you need a swimming pool etc. The best thing to do is scan down my list of recommended, owner-direct holiday accommodations and make some choices.
By the way, please make email contact with your accommodation choices one at a time. Don’t send out ten emails with the idea of choosing one at the end. Busy people have to respond to all of these emails, very likely in a language other than their own. It’s a lot of work if they will have only a 10% chance of a reservation.
Below are some relevant links to Anna Maria Baldini’s highly informative Tuscany blog on the famous Greve in Chianti website:
- Last Minute Tuscany. Great last minute offers on Tuscan accommodations.
- Greve in Chianti place to stay when you visit Tuscany. Self-catering holiday homes, bed and breakfast rooms, vacation rentals in Greve and elsewhere Chianti. Owner-direct Tuscan villas, farm houses, holiday apartments and B&B rooms in villages and countryside for your visit to Tuscany.
- Bed and Breakfast rooms in Greve in Chianti and other Chianti towns, villages and the countryside.
- Country and Village Hotels in Tuscany. Luxury vacation Villas and Villa Hotels for your visit Chianti and Tuscany.
- Tourist tax in Tuscany. This tax is often not included in the price of your accommodation and has to be paid separately.
- Recommended local vacation rental agencies. Options for those who prefer an agency over owner-direct rentals.
- Tuscan real estate for sale.
- Vacation possibilities in the Maremma.
- Vacation options in and near Rome.
Don’t forget to visit my recommended list of villas, owner-direct vacation rentals, B&Bs and hotels in Tuscany!
Plus up-to-date news on what to see and where to stay in Chianti and all of Tuscany.